Everything you didn't yet know about the new coat from the Maison Fauve wardrobe!
Coat season is fast approaching, it's time to think about which handmade project to choose, to dress you warmly this autumn-winter. Maison Fauve returns this year with Tigris, an officer's coat with strong character and very modern with its straight cut.
In this article, you will find new information on Tigris: look ideas, a short version of the coat with the adaptation of the tutorial and advice for sewing and maintaining your Maison Fauve wool drape.
Tigris long: a coat to curl up in all winter
You already know Tigris in the advanced version and presented in the advanced level pattern and tutorial:
- A straight cut mid-calf length coat
- A high straight collar on a signature double breasted design
- Shoulders highlighted with a buttoned tab
- Welt pockets at chest height
- Patch pockets
- A vent finish at the lower back
The long coat: which body types?
Choosing the right coat is not an easy task, but Tigris has been designed to suit all women. Whether you are tall or short, the long version is clearly made for you if you like long coats. Its straight cut and structured lines slim the silhouette so Tigris will also fit very well if you are curvy.
Pattern Tigris from 34 to 52. Vanina wears Tigris in size 50 and measures 1m70. Guide to finished garment sizes and measurements to be found on the product sheet.
There’s a Tigris coat for every style
Amanda wears Tigris in size 36 and is 1m63 tall. On the left: the Cicadella blouse in Rouge Cherry lace and the Tremplin trousers in Sable cotton sateen. On the right: the Soliflore blouse in Léo Sable Chocolat.
Look classy for the office
Discover Tigris in short version
But Tigris hasn't said its last word yet! The coat presents a more accessible version, which we have not yet revealed to you in images ;) This version keeps the same remarkable details (collar, line, buttoned tabs) but on a shorter length (above the knee) and without piped pockets and lined vent in the back. An intermediate sewing project, which can be a very nice first coat to sew to improve your skills!
The short coat: for which body types?
The short coat will go particularly well on medium and petite frames. Its straight cut accentuates verticality and is very advantageous on curves.
There’s a Tigris coat for every style
Short Tigris has the advantage of being more adaptable and neutral than the long coat so it can be worn in all situations.
You can choose Tigris to complete a feminine and comfortable outfit like a little dress and chunky boots. Its very structured effect will also fit very well for a work look ;)
If you like this version and want to get started watch the Tigris video tutorial. It's a one-hour explanatory video, covering all the sewing steps and technical points from the long version. To adapt the tutorial and make the short version, all you need to do is:
- Order the pattern, supplies and length of short coat version fabric corresponding to your size
- Cut out the short coat pattern pieces. The 2 variants can be cut from the same pattern sheet.
- Follow the steps in the tutorial, passing the steps for the welt pockets and the back vent. The only technical points to master are: sewing a dart, fitting a collar, attaching pockets and assembling the lining and everything is explained in the video :)
Sew my Tigris coat
You can choose from our two wool drapes to sew your beautiful coat: a Orage Gris for a timeless casual style and a Noir Profond for a more sophisticated look.
Gris Orage or Noir Profond
- The specificities of Maison Fauve woolen drape:
- Suitable iron-on: Vlieseline G700
- Composition: the Orage wool drape is composed of 98% wool, 2% polyamide and the Noir Profond wool fabric is made of 90% wool, 8% cashmere and 2% polyamide
- Sewing thick fabric: we recommend Schmetz universal needles. To make sewing layers easier, here is my technical advice: reduce the tension of the presser foot and lengthen the sewing point on your sewing machine to make training easier.
- The fabric should definitely not be machine washed. We recommend dry cleaning
You can play with our linings, contrasting the color for an offbeat look or opting for a sober color or pattern for a more chic effect.
The Solaris and wood buttons
We hope you enjoy sewing this masterpiece and look forward to discovering your creations! Happy sewing!